Monday, May 16, 2011

Acknowledgements

Sometimes a few people need to be acknowledged before a book is published. And this is one of those times. I just want to shout out a few people who have been absolutely integral to my finishing and polishing Chasing the Tail Lights. Because yes, we're on the home stretch now. By the end of the week I think I'll have it as finished as it's going to be.

It's been a long journey. One that started about this time last year. But now it's coming to an end. And I have to give a huge, huge thank you to my fabulous critique partner, Laura. She gave me the best birthday present ever when she figured out a way to solve the pacing problem that had been plaguing my ending. I'd been re-writing and moving and playing with it for a week, and she takes one look at it and says, "Here's what you need to do." A lightbulb brightened above my head and I laughed, "Why didn't I think of that? It's so simple." But sometimes it takes someone else's eyes to see what's right in front of you. I'm just lucky Laura has such great eyes.

I also have to thank Juliana who also, purely by coincidence, sent me her notes on my birthday. In terms of tightening the prose and making my book more stylistically appealing, her insights have been stellar.

I cannot stress how important critique partners and beta readers are. I'd be lost without mine, and I value them more than they could ever know. Who do you trust with your work? And what makes them perfect for you?

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree. Laura is just fantastic like that. I love the crit partners I have, they are definitely the eyes I need to tell me when the plot doesn't work or needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I didn't know it was your birthday! Happy birthday! And I can't wait to read more of your work sometime :)

    ReplyDelete