Monday, September 24, 2012

Something new

I started a new book last night.  Sidewalks in in the hands of my readers at the moment and to keep myself from going bonkers while I wait for feedback, I decided to just dive into a new story.

This one is something different for me.  It's historical and kind of a western, with romance thrown in.  I'm calling it Between Paradise and Nowhere.

I actually already wrote this story a couple of years back.  I planned it to be a category romance but it never really worked.  I keep thinking about the characters though, and about a month ago I started wondering what might happen if I rewrote it as YA.  The idea wouldn't let me go, so here I am.

While I'm essentially following the same plot outline, I've changed one of the POV characters to make the love triangle (or square) stronger.  I've also made the characters younger, which changes the dynamics a little.

After one night's work, I'm feeling quite good about the project, but who know's how I'll feel in three weeks...

Have you ever reimagined a book you've already written?  How did it work out?

3 comments:

  1. I'm sort of doing this right now. My editor and I talked about my book and decided that telling it from a different angle would really make it great. So now I'm in the process of rewriting it and I'm really loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one book I was working on a few years ago (about a guy who can suck the life force out of people and mummify them) -- but it didn't really go anywhere. I've been bouncing ideas around in my head for a along time, and I think I might try tackling this book again in a 3rd person POV, instead of the 1st person in which it was originally written. I do this with pretty much everything I write (and read!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I re-imagine stuff I've written, though that doesn't mean I'd go back to fix it. Good luck with your revision- it's nice that you'd given yourself some space from it, and that you're looking at it again with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete