Sunday, March 17, 2013

Why I Like My Job

While I occasionally have vivid fantasies about being a full-time writer and spending my days hunched over my computer in my pajamas, I actually like my day job.  Most of the time, anyway.

I run an art house movie theatre, but it's so much more than just a movie theatre.

This week alone we have a live children's theatre show, a French film festival, a funeral and a public lecture from an Icelandic economist.  Not to mention our permanent bookings like the Film Society and Opera Society.

So every day is different.  There's always something new and exciting to look forward to, and different challenges associated with every event.  I get to meet fascinating people and get exposed to new ideas all the time.  And these things all fuel my writing.

For a very recent example, the idea for Stumped came to me after we hosted the premiere of Scarlet Road and I had a chance to speak to the subject of the documentary.  Until that moment it would never have crossed my mind to write a book about sex and disability.  But after meeting Rachel, the idea wouldn't leave me alone.

So while some days I bitch and moan about not having enough time to write, and hate crawling out of bed at 5:30am to do it, I don't think I'd be the writer I am without the stimulation I get from working outside my own room.

What's your day job?  Do you like it?

5 comments:

  1. I love my job because I don't have one!! Wahoo!! The upside to living in a 3rd world country is dollars stretch further and you can retire early. :-D
    But if I had to work, your job sounds like it would be very interesting and right up my film-degreed alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun job you have. What great stimulation too. Do you need an assistant? hehehe

    I love my day job as a painter most of the time. But, unlike a 9 to 5 job or a set hour job when I'm painting I can use up 12 hours for one day and the next... Sometimes it's hard to plan things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your job sounds amazing! I love films and it's great that your theatre is also a community-centered space. I create public programs for a university art museum and love what I do, although I wouldn't mind giving it up for a full-time writing career. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo cool.
    Writing is my day job, but I used to be a high school teacher and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate,
    I often dream of the full-time writer life, but then I wake up to the reality I really like being a professional scientist. I also wonder how I'd function without the access to new and challenging or the down time/commute time think story.

    ReplyDelete