Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Edits

My editor sent through edits on my book yesterday.  I saw the email sitting in my in-box and felt my chest seize up with fear.  I wanted to open the file right away to see what was in store, but I didn't.  In fact, I didn't even look until the following morning when I knew I'd be fresher and more able to process what I had to do.

Which meant I had a long night of tossing and turning while I worried about how much work I have ahead of me.  The deadline for my book is really soon (December 6th), so I'm very aware of the ticking clock behind me. I have a lot on at work at the moment as well as a family who like me to come out of my writing cave on occasion.  So I was concerned.

So, I opened the document with great trepidation.  The first few pages were a cloud of 'track-changes' bubbles and my heart sank.  But when I got closer and actually started reading them, I realized there was nothing too major that has to be done.  I've done the really big stuff already.

And believe me, that was a relief!  But now I can settle in and do the edits without worrying too much about the time I have to do them because I'm confident I can knock them off easily in a few days.

Phew!

Have you ever had unfounded panic about something, only to discover it's not nearly as bad as you might think?

5 comments:

  1. How about everything! It's just so easy for me to get worked up about something. :P

    Good luck with your editing. I'm glad it wasn't as scary as you feared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it is going to be manageable for you. Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that all the time. Good to hear there weren't any major changes. Which means you were either really good or your editor is terrible! Probably the former...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right Kate. A little bit of work, but nothing major. That must have felt good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely suffer from panic over things I blow up in my mind. I've learned that, usually, the thing isn't going to be as bad as I feared and that, no matter how bad, I've survived in the past. With God's help, I'll continue to survive. :-)

    Congrats on plowing through those edits! And good luck sorting them all out by your deadline.

    ReplyDelete