Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Books I've Loved: Please Ignore Vera Dietz



This is a great book about friendship, unrequited love and the secrets we can keep for the people we're close to.  It's also a book that has interesting dynamics between all the characters from the parents to the friends that surround Vera and Charlie.

It's also a beautifully economical book.  The relationship between Charlie and Vera is shown in a very complete way without too much use of flashback or memory.  Every scene works to either deepen our understanding of the relationship, or to drive the story forward.

I read it in a single afternoon and couldn't quite believe it when I'd finished.  Definitely recommended!

If you don't believe me, here's the blurb:

Vera’s spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she’s kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to?

Edgy and gripping,
Please Ignore Vera Dietz is an unforgettable novel: smart, funny, dramatic, and always surprising.

2 comments:

  1. Although I own it, I haven't read this one yet. I love A.S. King's work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love character driven stories like this. It sounds really good. I'll have to remember it.

    ReplyDelete