Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Books I've Loved: Edgewater


Okay, so I'm lying a little here.  I didn't LOVE this book.  But I did like it, and I read the whole thing in a morning because something about it really made it un put-downable.  Yet I can't put my finger on what.

Yes, there were some twists, but most of them I saw coming a long way off.  And frankly, most of the characters were annoying as hell and the whole story required an enormous suspension of disbelief.

But those are all things I thought after I'd finished it, not while I was reading.  And while I was reading, I was in this story, in the world and I was turning pages like there was no tomorrow because I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

And sometimes, that's what you need.  Even if afterward you start questioning things that didn't quite work, reading something that engages and immerses you that much in the moment has to mean something.

If you don't believe me, here's the blurb:

Lorrie Hollander used to be a rich girl who spent her money on boarding school and equestrian camp. But that was before. It’s been twelve years since Lorrie’s mother skipped town and left Lorrie and her sister in the care of her unstable aunt Gigi. Together they live in a decaying mansion called Edgewater, the eyesore in a town of extraordinary wealth and privilege.

While Lorrie is desperately trying to keep her family from collapse, she meets Charlie, the son of an esteemed senator. Terrified that he will learn the truth about her, she holds him at a distance. But Charlie’s family is hiding something, too. And Lorrie could never have imagined how their secrets, and their lives, are inextricably bound.

Courtney Sheinmel’s Edgewater is a gripping story of scandal and romance, shame and redemption, and how one girl must come to terms with a shocking past in order to understand who she truly is.

5 comments:

  1. The fact that you couldn't put the book down speaks volumes! There's nothing better than getting so engrossed in a book, even if you do think of things you didn't like later. I am curious about this one and will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must have been some merit to the book, if you found yourself engrossed in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that weird how some books do that? I go back and try to figure out how the author hooked me so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a book doesn't have to be well done to be un-put-down-able. It's just how it involves you in the story and makes you want to see what happens next. And you were able to get into it, which is a positive sign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read books where I felt like that. Oh man, have I ever. Half the time I'm scowling at the page while frantically flipping onward. Funny.

    ReplyDelete