Thursday, November 17, 2016

Celebrate the Small Things 18-11-16



This post is part of Lexa Cain's bloghop, Celebrate the Small Things. Head on over there to join up!

So what am I celebrating this week?

Mostly still being alive.  And having a home to go to, and running water, electricity and everything.

After the earthquakes, there are people in some parts of New Zealand who don't have those luxuries.  A friend of mine's family home has been destroyed and the entire family are now struggling to decide where to go and what to do.  They've lost their sanctuary and their memories.  She wrote very eloquently about it here.

Even here in Wellington, where by Wednesday most of us were back at work and business as usual, buildings are being discovered to be unsound and streets closed around them to keep people safe.

And then there's the aftershocks.  They keep coming.  Most of them are so light we don't feel them, but every now and then there's a doozy.  I just checked the Geo-net site and since I got up half an hour ago, there have been 14 aftershocks ranging in strength from 2.4 to 3.5.

And then there's the tsunami danger too.  I live on a flat piece of land about three or four blocks back from the see in two directions.  So if there is a risk of tsunami, as there was on Sunday night, we evacuate.  Luckily there's a hill behind us that we can go up.

But we've had to think about all sorts of things this week.  My kids go to two different schools, luckily in around about the same area and my partner works at home, near both schools.  But I work in the city.  If there is a big one while we're and work at school, it's likely I'll be trapped in the city.

So much to think about.  But also much to celebrate.  I refuse to let this make me live in fear.  In fact, I'm going to cherish every moment I have because you never know when the next big one is going to hit.

What are you celebrating this week?


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're all right, but that's so awful for your friend's house. I hope that's the last earthquake for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping you remain out of harm's way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're OK, things like this remind us of all that we take for granted. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how relieved I am that you and your family weren't in the hard hit areas. You're right -- something like that has to affect your priorities and you must treasure ever moment and be good to yourself and your loved ones. We never know how much time we have...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We often forget how much the bare essentials mean to us until they're threatened.
    Prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete